Monday, June 15, 2009

Chapter 4/5 Case Study

1. What classic symptoms of a learning disability does Nathan exhibit?
One of the major symptoms that Nathan has is difficulty sustaining attention in the face of distraction. Nathan seems to be easily distracted from completing his assignments, quizzes, or handing in assignments.
2. What accommodations has Nathan received in the past?
He was put on drug to try to calm him down and be able to focus on what he is doing for a longer period of time. he was also put in resource classes to try to help him learn.
3. What strategies would you recommend to help Nathan work with his learning disability? Why?
I would provide breaks for Nathan to relax and then refocus. One thing that I would implement in my class with Nathan is short lesson and activities keeping the class moving so he will stay focused on the task. I would also provide shorter quizzes and tests so Nathan could finish, or else I would provide a few minute breaks for Nathan to collect his thoughts. One final thing I would do is ask Nathan what he thinks will benefit him most. He seems willing to learn and change his problems. Experimenting with different ideas that he may have may help him to develop a longer focus time.
I would provide breaks for Nathan because it would help him to refocus on the things that I am teaching as the teacher. The shorter activities will keep the class at a good pace providing interest and attention with the things being taught. Keeping the lesson moving will keep the students interested rather than getting bored and having their minds wonder off. Finally I would talk with Nathan because he has lived with a short attention span and will know things that help him stay focused. Getting ideas from him can help be plan and organize my lessons to keep Nathan focused on the lesson.
4. Is Nathan experiencing a cultural mismatch? Justify your response with examples from the case study.
I don't think so. Both Nathans parents and teacher want the same thing for him. Being in the general ed class to learn the same things as the other students without drugs and going to resource classes. Also Nathan understands what is being taught and is very bright to learn what the information is. The teacher tells the parents how Nathan answers the questions right pretty much all the time. The answers he completes on the tests and quizzes are almost always right. This is why the teacher is concerned. They all want to figure out the best way for Nathan to become successful. They know he has the means to be successful but lacks the attention in class to do so. The parents also demonstrate the expectation when the mother tells the teacher Nathan did his homework last night because she made sure he did. Nathans well being is definitely the focus here and each area wants him to reach his full potential and is willing to find a way to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment