Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Final Reflection

What?
With all of the four research combined it was surprising to me how some can overlap each other when trying to find a solution for anything. Descriptive research surprised me with the different types that can be done through descriptive like qualitative and quantitative. These two different ways can give different ways of looking at product but can still describes the situation to find what you are trying to solve. With correlation I never knew that you can never fully tell us why the relationship exists. With this study I wonder what the impact can be in changing the relationship if it is needed because we can't fully know the causation. Experimental research was one that I knew better than the rest but still learned more about controlling the different variables to get find a solution. One area that I've never thought too much about with experimental research was the ethical issues and the different problems that could occur. The final one was Action research. Before reading this chapter I never knew anything about action research. It was cool to see that teachers, administration, and districts can create their own research studies to make the best possible learning environment for each student.

So What?
I have learned a lot about these different types of research. Understanding each one and the process they undergo is very important in finding results that are effective in our schools and students. Also critical, is understanding which research process is going to find the best outcomes for the situation at hand. For each research process a variety of conclusions and effects can occur, so understanding your situation first and what you want to fix from it is important. Being a teacher action research is very important to me, because it keeps the teachers involved and interested in the students and their success. Being involved in action research helps programs and students to be continually improving and creating knowledge. Research can be such a great tool for any teacher. Research can be simple and inexpensive or taken to a variety of degrees, but each can help a teacher in his/her classroom to provide a great and safe learning environment for every child. One final thing that I've been taught that is of upmost importance is the ethical and safety precautions for the students. Finding out the problems is essential but we must first think of the students and their rights individually. Many problems can come if ethical concerns aren't treated properly. With each of these studies ethical issues can appear. Becoming a teacher, even if you aren't doing research, ethical and moral values should be a priority.

Now What?
I still have a lot to learn about research. I think just learning about the different types has just scratched the surface for what I need to know to become an effective teacher. I need to learn previous research topics and outcomes that can benefit me in the classroom. Finding out policies and rules from the state down to districts will also be a learning step for me. To gain full knowledge of the different types of research and the procedures I need to get involved with research and experiment for myself. Getting involved can give me hands on experience and teach me the issues and problems that can occur with every research. I believe research will be a big part of my teaching. Action research will become a great tool to the success and learning of my classes. I plan on staying involved with the latest research topics and the discoveries that they find. I also will create my own little research topics with my classes and students so I can provide a better education and environment for my students. By using action research in my class it will be an ongoing learning experience. With research I believe keeping an open mind can be helpful, therefore within my classes I plan on keeping an open mind to research for the benefit of my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment